Sunday, February 06, 2011

Sunset from Samiak Oreum (삼의악 오름)


I don't know what the deal with the funky lines on the picture is...maybe I compressed it too much?  I'll try and fix it one of these days.

One of the beauties about the 368 oreums (secondary volcanic hills) on Jeju is that there's always one close by.  Usually, I've found that the closest ones to your home become your favorites.  My favorite is the one that's just behind Jeju National University, where I work.  It goes by a couple of names, Sae Mi Oreum, or Samiak Oreum, but either way, it's the same place.  It seems like I've been going there at least once a week since I moved to the Ara-Dong neighborhood.  About a year ago, the trail was renovated, a staircase was added all the way up the steep side :( and the trail was improved around the frontside and around the stream where were used to play some disc golf.  Wintertime can be a bit chilly for a sunset hike, but it can be a gorgeous view on a clear day, where you can see all of Jeju City, out to Hamdeok Beach and as far as Chujado on the most perfect of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment