Sunday, November 19, 2006

Korean Language Class

Unlike most other English teachers here, learning Korean has become a top priority for me. I honestly don't know how these people can keep sane living here for years without knowing any Korean. Most of these teachers only know enough to get food at restaurants and beer at the bars. Learning the language is a slow, painful process, so I can understand how daunting it can be. However, so far for me, the rewards have been worth the effort.

Two weeks ago, Halla College finally offered a Korean course for beginners. There's about 10 or 12 of us that come regularly three mornings a week for two hours. Unfortunately, the teacher is terrible, but I still get quite a bit out of the class. The class is really helping and I can already sense some improvement in my speaking and listening. The three mornings a week kills my schedule, since I pretty much go straight from class to work, but it's nice to keep busy instead of being a lazy bum in the mornings. The class also gives me a lot more direction and pushes me to learn more on a schedule. Learning on my own, I tended to take many days off and would forget everything I had already learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment